People are usually attracted to almond milk for one of two reasons: the deliciously creamy taste, or the fact that it’s naturally dairy-free. But there’s a lot more to EcoMiL’s organic almond drinks than the lack of lactose. They’re also incredibly nutritious, full of healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, protein, minerals and vitamin E. Check out some of the nutritional benefits of this tasty milk substitute:
- Almonds are over 50% fat – the good kind! Almost all almond fats are unsaturated. About four-fifths are monounsaturated oleic acids, which cut bad LDL cholesterol while increasing levels of good HDL cholesterol.
- About three-quarters of the carbohydrates in almonds are complex carbohydrates, which are digested relatively slowly. They don’t spike levels of blood glucose, and the energy they provide lasts longer.
- Almonds have a good balance of insoluble fibre and soluble fibre – about 4:1. Both kinds help you feel fuller on fewer calories, and both promote digestive regularity. Consumption of insoluble fibre, meanwhile, is associated with a lower risk of colon cancer.
- Almonds contain almost as much protein as meat, and it’s all vegan! It’s also high in arginine, an amino acid that helps protect arteries.
- Almonds supply calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which help tone the circulatory and neuromuscular systems; copper, iron and phosphorus, which assist oxygen transport inside the body; and trace amounts of antioxidant selenium and zinc.
- One serving of almonds contains over half the recommended daily allowance of vitamin E, a powerful free-radical-fighting antioxidant.
Shake well before opening. Keep refrigerated after opening and consume within 5 days.