Buckwheat noodles 🍜 in a rich and hearty shiitake mushroom broth 🍄. This dish is full of umami, it’s guaranteed to satisfy and makes for a nutritious lunch.
- Soba or ramen noodles (4 bunches)
- Dried shiitake mushrooms (1 handful) - soak for 2 hours in 2 cups of water
- Kombu shiitake dashi seasoning
- Sesame oil
- Half an yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, mince
- 2 whole fresh tomatoes
- Dumplings of your choice
Preparing the broth
- In a deep saucepan, and with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry mince garlic and diced onions until soft and translucent.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and add to the saucepan. Tomatoes have natural glutamates that add to the savoriness of the broth.
- Add the water that the mushrooms were soaked in into the saucepan.
- Add 2 more cups of freshwater and the mushrooms.
- Add 4 tablespoons of shoyu
- Bring the broth to a boil and lower the heat
- Cover the saucepan and allow to simmer for 20min. Top up with water as needed.
Preparing Noodles and Dumpling
- Prepare dumplings of your choice according to package instructions. We recommend to prepare gyoza style. Pan fry in oil and then add water to the pan to steam.
- Prepare noodles of your choice according the package instructions.
Finishing the Dish
- Plate the noodles and dumplings.
- Pour broth over noodles and serve!