You don't need plant-based meat to create a sensational 'bolognese' style pasta! All we need is a little creativity and courage! This tofu-crumble bolognese sauce is easy to prepare, and made with easily available & affordable vegan ingredients.
- Fusili Pasta - 150g
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced (or more if you love it garlic-ky!)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a drizzle)
- Butter (2 tablespoons)
- Canned Tomatoes (1 can)
- Nutritional Yeast (as much you like!)
- Firm Tofu or Taukwa (1 slab)
Making the tofu 'mince'
- Pat dry the taukwa with a towel. It also helps to put some weight on it (like with a bowl for 5-10min to get the excess moisture out!
- Use a masher (I just use my hands when I'm cooking for ourselves) to crumble the taukwa into small chunks. I like a mix of big and small chunks for some texture, but your preference!
- Melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter in a sauce pan.
- Stir-fry the tofu 'mince' until the desired level of golden brownness. I like some to get the tofu a little extra crispy, so i will usually cook for a longer time.
- Set aside in a bowl to cool
Making the Pasta & Sauce
- Before starting on the sauce, I also start preparing the pasta. Follow the instructions on the back of the packaging to get it al-dente.
- There should be some left over oil on the pan. If, add another tablespoon of vegan butter, and fry up the mince garlic at low to medium heat. You want to fry the garlic until the aroma starts to build!
- Then add the tofu mince to the garlic and stir-fry until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the can of tomatoes into the pan! At this time you want to take about a ladle full of pasta water, and mix it into the tomato sauce.
- Get it to a boil, then immediately add the cooked pasta into the sauce. Toss until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste again!
- Garnish with as much nutritional yeast as you like!